• Facebook Logo
  • Twitter Logo
  • Google-plus Logo

IEASA National

IEASA National

IEASA National - News

What are the qualifications for estate agents?  

Article Date :2 Dec 2010

The compulsory qualifications, since 2008, are the Further Education & Training (FET) Certificate in Real Estate, followed by the Professional Designation Examination (PDE).  The FET Certificate is awarded by the Services SETA, while the PDE is conducted by the Estate Agency Affairs Board (EAAB).

If you're a new estate agent, just entering the profession, you must obtain the FET Certificate by means of a year-long internship with an estate agency firm, and then write the PDE. 

If you're already an estate agent, you must obtain the FET Certificate by means of a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment.  If you entered the profession after July 2003, then you must also pass the PDE, but if you've been continuously registered with the EAAB since before July 2003, you're exempted from the PDE.

For further information from the regulatory body as well as their accredited RPL Centres, please visit the EAAB website (www.eaab.org.za).

For information on the relevant Real Estate Qualifications and designations for Estate Agents and Principals click here